Here’s a healthy food list you might find useful.
It’s all simple, whole foods. The kinds of food humans probably evolved eating.
I’ve found everything below at my local supermarket. You won’t need to make any special trips to the health food store.
As for buying organic or grass-fed: in an ideal world, all the veggies you buy will be organic, and all the meat/fish you buy will be grass-fed, pasture-raised, or wild-caught. But don’t worry if you can’t afford that at the moment (except for a couple of specified items). First focus on transitioning away from the grain- and sugar-dominated Standard American Diet.
The amounts of each food that you need will depend on your current goal. If you’re currently trying to lose fat, read this blog post for more guidance. If you’re currently trying to build muscle or strength, read this blog post.
Healthy Food List: Proteins
Essentially meat, fish and eggs. Avoid processed meat and any meat that you buy in a can. Ground meat is fine.
- Greek yoghurt (2-5%)
- Pork (including bacon. Just make sure you get the least-processed kind you can find)
Healthy Food List: Fats
- Almond butter (organic)
- Avocado oil
- Butter (from grass-fed cows)
- Coconut oil
- Cream (from grass-fed cows)
- Extra virgin olive oil (don’t cook with this, only for dressings)
- Peanut butter (organic)
- Olive oil
Healthy Food List: Veggies
- Bell Pepper
- Brussels Sprouts
- Collard greens
- Tomato (yes, I know it’s technically a fruit)
- Also, any herb or spice
Healthy Food List: Starchy Carbs
- Sweet potato
Healthy Food List: Fruit
Healthy Food List: Snacks
- Dark chocolate (85% or higher)
Healthy Food List: Drinks
- Clear liquor: vodka, gin, tequila
- Club soda
- Coffee (no milk or sugar. 1 teaspoon grass-fed full fat cream is fine)
- Herbal tea
- Red wine (no sweet or semi-sweet)
Do you have any questions about anything on this healthy food list? Think I should have included something you don’t see? Leave a comment below.